Saturday, March 10, 2012

My favorite cleaning product

I'm not sure if there are very many people in the world who enjoy reading about cleaning products, so I debated whether or not to even write this post, but I decided I had to share about my favorite cleaning product!  

It seems almost every week I find another use for it. I keep a spray bottle full of it close by when I clean.  Other times, I just pour a half cup of it directly into the washing machine, dishwasher, or sink.
It has an almost indefinite shelf life.  It's non-toxic.  It's  inexpensive.  Have you guessed what it is yet?

Here are my favorite uses:

  • To clean the refrigerator.  I learned this from my mom - wipe down the refrigerator shelves with a wash rag soaked in this product to remove undesirable odors.  
  • To prevent or clean off mildew from shower curtains (non-fabric type).  To help prevent mildew, spray down the inside of the shower curtain every once in a while with this product, then just leave it to air dry (it doesn't leave residue).  If it needs a more thorough cleaning, you can actually wash plastic shower curtains in the washing machine.  Just run them through by themselves with cold water in addition to laundry detergent, half a cup of this product, and a little borax if you have it.  Don't put plastic shower curtains in the dryer though, just hang them back up wet - they will dry, and the steam from future showers will straighten out the wrinkles.  
  • To remove cloudiness from drinking glasses.  Soak them for half an hour in a sink full of warm, soapy water with half a cup of the product.  I was so amazed when it removed the cloudiness and restored our glasses to their original sparkling clear condition.  Evidently, repeated washing in the dishwasher starts to etch glasses; the etching can become worse and permanent unless the residue is cleaned off every once in a while. 
  • To mop the floor.  This product doesn't streak or leave residue.  
  • As a rinse agent in the dishwasher.  Pour this product into the rinse agent cup in your dishwasher.  Not only does it help your dishes come out without water streaks and drips, but it is a natural cleaner for your dishwasher itself.  I had never used a rinse agent before, but I amazed how my dishes come out actually dry now!
  • My new favorite: to clean stove top drip pans.  The drip pans on our range get dirty so quickly and the blackened residue takes a lot of elbow grease to clean off.  My husband suggested we try soaking them in soapy water with this product, like we do for the drinking glasses.  We left them to soak in the sink while we were gone at church one night, and when we came home, most of the residue just sloughed off!
Have you guessed what it is yet?  



White vinegar!
What do you like to use it for?

2 comments:

  1. I run it through my coffee maker once a month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's interesting, I run coffee through through my vinegar maker... I'll have to try that

    ReplyDelete