Thursday, March 8, 2012

Homemade Yogurt!

I finally attempted to make homemade yogurt for the first time.  I had considered for a while, but the impetus to actually do it came because our milk was about to expire and I wanted to use it up quickly.  I think I will be making yogurt more frequently now!  Because it doesn't require much direct involvement for most of the process, I think it is worth the lengthy preparation.

I'm not going to lead you through the detailed process here, because I am just a newbie at it and am by no means a yogurt expert now!  I followed the directions in this Frugal Girl post, so you can go there for a detailed recipe.  For those who are just curious though, I'll fill you in on the basic process.   For my trial run, I fourthed the recipe and just used four cups of milk to make one quart of yogurt.  Basically, I heated milk up to about 185 degrees, let it cool to 120 degrees, and added a few tablespoons of store-bought yogurt (the starter - now that I've got it "started", next time I can just use a bit of the leftover yogurt I just made to start another batch).  Since I wanted to make vanilla yogurt, I also added a little sugar and vanilla at this point.  I poured it all into a sterilized quart canning jar, screwed on the lid, and placed it in our camping cooler filled with a gallon of hot water, where it stayed for three hours.  Then, I stuck it in the freezer temporarily (I read elsewhere that this improves the texture), then moved it to the fridge, and that's it!

Initially, I was wary of this process because it seemed unsafe to just let the yogurt sit there in tepid water for three whole hours.  However, as I read up on it, I became convinced that it is OK, because the sitting in warm water is really what makes the milk turn into yogurt; it is safe to eat I'm told.  Most recipes let the yogurt sit for much lengthier periods of time, actually.  Methods of keeping the yogurt warm during that time vary from using a cooler with warm water to a heating pad to a crockpot to a special yogurt maker.

I was pleasantly surprised to taste test my yogurt and discover that the flavor was very comparable to store-bought vanilla yogurt.  However, it wasn't as creamy and it had a thinner consistency than store-bought, although this is common with homemade yogurt; plus, I used skim milk.  Since the taste was still good, I think I will make yogurt more often!  If left unopened in the refrigerator, the jars of yogurt are supposed to last a month; once opened, around a week.  The cost-savings are great!  I figured it cost me around $0.75 to make one quart of yogurt.  I normally pay around $2.50-$3.00 for a quart of yogurt a couple times a month, so theoretically, I could save around $48 a year by making homemade yogurt.  Imagine the savings if you are feeding a lot more family members than our two!

2 comments:

  1. That's pretty cool! Thanks for letting us know how it turned out. Do you know much about making other flavors or are y'all sticking to vanilla for now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the recipe I was following was just the basic version for plain or vanilla yogurt. For other flavors, I believe you mix in pureed fruit after the yogurt has set.

      Delete